We are so BLESSED to have a church where the Pastor not only encourages and preaches one should homeschool but also provides such fun field trips for FREE for the whole family. The Pastor’s Wife is the one that organizes all of these every year and she does such a good job and we are again, very thankful! For us it means going to places we usually would never go because we couldn’t justify the cost (8 people to an aquarium..yikes!) and also because we are pretty boring when it comes to outings ha! There was a time when I was always looking for fun things to do on days off but as more kids came and the responsibility of keeping up a house came, those outings are few and far between.
This was such a fun place in a cute part of town in Scottsdale.
They enjoyed a great performace from a trio and then a presentation on branding. I enjoyed it too!
Above they were creating their own Movie Card Posters. The museum had many hands on activities throughout.
I love that they gave all the kids packets to fill out. There was a page for each section of the museum. It kept them engaged the whole time and learning.
The Volunteers were all so sweet. Here one lady is helping the girls figure out how much they could buy with an imaginary $40 with the prices of the past.
Below they were listening to a presentation on the Buffalo.
We had such a great time! Even better to go with all your friends from church.
If you are homeschooling and you don’t have any kind of community I encourage you to find a like-minded group.
How to find that?
- Whatever curriculum you are using, you can find a group on it on FB to answer any questions you may have or just get encouragement as needed. However in person support is nice, HERE is a link with all the Arizona ones. A google of your city + homeschool group will yield results, I’m sure.
Other ways to make it more affordable to make fun outings.
- For us one huge way is POGO Passes. It is such an affordable way of having fun all year round, all over the valley.
- You can click HERE to see all the FREE National Park Days.
- Many venues in every state have homeschool days where any homeschooler can attend. Click HERE to view the Arizona ones.
- The library offers Culture Passes with free entrance to great venues in town.
Here is a list of other FREE times and dates for venues in the Phoenix area.
Arizona Science Center
Free membership for educators
Free admission for seniors 62+ the first Tuesday of every month
Deer Valley Petroglyph Preserve
Check for occasional free admission days
Currently closed; reopening Fall 2017
Desert Botanical Garden
Free admission the second Tuesday of every month, from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Desert Caballeros Western Museum
Children under 18 free every day
Free for members & Native Americans
Phoenix Art Museum
Wednesdays, 3:00 – 9:00 p.m.
First Fridays, 6:00 – 10:00 p.m.
Discount Tire Free Family Weekends, Saturday & Sunday, 12-5 pm (second weekend of the month)
Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art
Thursdays all day, Fri & Sat 5-9pm
Lastly, there is always Groupon deals for places not mentioned above like Zoo’s and this Wildlife Park in Litchfield, AZ. They have a great deal right now, click HERE to see it.
*This post contains affiliate links.